Monday, September 26, 2005

When is it enough?

I am going thru my "scrapbook" stuff and finding things that are making me wonder when enough is enough. I have saved everything, or rather my parents have saved everything for me, from grade school thru high school. And all thru now. I save Christmas letters/cards, birthday cards, general letters, newspaper clippings, wedding invitations/programs, obituaries, EVERYTHING!!! I save EVERYTHING!! EVERYTHING that is paper anyway. It's not overtaking my life just yet, but I don't have a lot of room as it is. I am going thru my "scrapbook" stuff for reasons I am unsure of, and I'm just finding things that are really fun to look at and at the same time I'm finding things that I'm wondering why I saved it in the first place. I have tons of programs from musicals and plays and the like. They are things that show my accomplishments on paper. Now if Peter could come here, I'd probably get rid of 75% of those things. (Peter from Clean Sweep). But then the cycle is just going to continue with my kids. If I don't get a handle on this now, I'll never be able to handle it. I feel like every time I turn around, quite literally there is one more piece of paper that I feel I can't live without. I want to take responsibility for this, but I really believe that this is my parents fault. At least my dad's. He saves EVERYTHING. Besides, isn't everything supposed to be my parents fault? lol. I haven't gotten a very good/clear answer on what important papers to keep and so as far as that is concerned, I'm still keeping EVERYTHING there too. Ok, so enough of this. My point kind of is this: the other day at work, one of the girls was talking about her cousin who lived right on Lake Poncitran in NewOrleans. After 4 hurricane warnings, they decided to pack up and move to higher ground. Well, they have lived thru hurricanes before and came out with no problems. They packed for a weekend getaway. They didn't pack thinking that they'd never be able to come back to their home, which by the way was swallowed by the hurricane and the level of the lake rose so high that their address no longer exists. THEY HAVE NOTHING!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER. NO PICTURES OF THEIR BABIES, NO MEMOROBILIA, NO VIDEO, NO WEDDING DRESS, SO ON AND SO FORTH. But they have each other. In the scheme of life, isn't that what counts the most? You don't know what you have till it's gone. I need an outside support system to help me wade thru my papers and give me solid advice on what to keep and what to get rid of and make it ok. This is just so sickening. I don't know if it would help me or not. Ok. Enough.
~E.

3 comments:

~B said...

Get rid of it and then get yourself your very own new truck! ~B ;-)

~B said...

You KNOW within your heart, that this stuff burdens you. You know it. Pray about it and get rid of it. It REALLY doesn't matter. Really. ~B :)

~B said...

Do you want me to post your blog addy on my blog, or do you want to just stay private? I just didn't want you to think that I was avoiding putting your url down on my links. ~B :)