Monday, September 19, 2005

It's good to be home.

So I made it home. My sisters and I got home around 11:00p.m. which is really good timing considering all the driving. I then drove what would be a typical 45 more minutes except that I think it took me more like an hour and 15 minutes. It was pouring rain. Rain was coming down in sheets. Sometimes I couldn't tell if I was just going backwards and stepping on the gas or really moving forward that's how hard it was raining. I really wanted to get home last night so I kept on going. The water on the road was causing me to hydroplane a little, but I was driving very cautiously. I was the only on the road and that allowed me to drive in the middle of the highway. At one point when I had to drive on the other side of the highway due to road construction, I went thru a huge amount of standing water and it jerked my car to one side. It was kind of freaky because I wasn't expecting it. It kind of scared me. By the time I got to my town, the rain had nearly subsided. So that was nice. I was listening to my favorite CD which is a mix of Christian Music. I was really singing to the hills and that really kept me alert. I wasn't that tired. I even stayed up about another half hour and checked my e-mails and my regular mail. I got a lot of both:). But most of it was just junk mail.

So I woke up earlier than I thought but my kids were so happy to see me. That's the best part!! And another reason I wanted to come home ASAP. I missed my kids so much while I was gone. It was nice to get away, but I would have taken my kids in a heartbeat. I am really glad that I didn't though as it was nice to just be able to relax.:)

Well, on his way, my brother's car got broken into and his laptop, palm pilot, cash money from his wife's purse-but not the purse and a cell phone were all stolen. Him, his wife and their kids had just stopped off somewhere and checked out the sights. They figured they were probably gone 10-15 minutes. When they got back to their vehicle, there was a guy getting into his car which I guess was parked right next to their car and he seemed to be in a big hurry, slammed the door fast and just drove off before they could even figure out what had happened. Both my brother and his wife probably wouldn't have noticed that the smaller things were gone except that their son commented that the lap top was gone. When my sister-in-law looked in her purse, she noticed that her money and her cell phone were both missing. It wasn't until much later that my brother noticed his Palm Pilot was missing. The guy broke in to the passenger door they figure, by jamming some kind of un-locking mechanism into the key hole and just manipulated it just right. The door still locks, but entry by key to that door is not possible. The laptop was from my sister-in-laws work and she called work to let them know what had happened, and it sounded like it wasn't going to be a big deal to replace that. They had it along so the kids could watch movies on the long trip. They called to cancel their phone policy but will have to pay the cancellation fee since they were under contract. Even though the guy didn't steal the purse, they contacted all their credit cards companies and put alerts on all their cards. They figure he didn't steal the purse so they wouldn't notice right away that anything had been stolen. It's just so awful that this happened. I had my purse with me wherever I went, even just to go to the bathroom, and of course my sister locked her car up. There were sometimes when we went into a store and my sister wasn't even watching her purse. She just left it in the cart while she was looking elsewhere. I am just amazed that she does that kind of thing. Oh well, I didn't know what to say to warn her. Fortunately nothing like that happened to her. My brother and his wife filed a police report and their stuff should be covered by either car insurance or work. They are hoping not to have to file a claim.

The wedding reception was really nice. My sisters and I helped my dad and his wife who were the caterer's do a little prepping. It was kind of hectic because when we got there it was just rush rush rush. We hadn't even checked into our hotel room. We weren't all that much help, but even a little helps. And then dad and his wife had to rush to get to the wedding. They almost didn't make it.

I guess the wedding which took place in a chapel, was really small and crowded. I am all for a small church wedding any day!! The reception was beautiful and huge. The bride and groom didn't sit at their table, they were so busy getting pictures taken and so forth. They had these itty bitty bells that would be great for Barbie and Ken and made hardly ANY noise. The purpose of the bells was to ring them and then the bride and groom would kiss. Well, they weren't even sitting still long enough for that to happen. I forced it a little and made them kiss eachother so I could take a picture. My camera is not something that I am most happy with lately. It doesn't take good pictures in low lighting, or at least I don't know how to get it to take good pictures in low lighting so I was so frustrated by a lot of the pictures I took. It was kind of like can I take your picture? Ok hold it there, and again, oh wait, it still didn't turn out one more. Ughh!! What is wrong with this stupid camera? I really like my digital camera for a lot of reasons, but gee, I'd go 35 mm anyday!!!!! The bride is my cousin and she looked really beautiful. Her sister was her maid of honor, who by the way caught the bouquet. I think it was kind of planned that way. She also caught my wedding bouquet. She's not on her way to the aisle any time soon. Though she does have a boyfriend.

Well, it was a really nice trip. My sisters and I got along for the most part. There was the usual bickering that happens when siblings usually get together. But we had a really nice time together. It probably won't be until Easter 2006 that I see all of my siblings together again. That seems so far away. I am not sure what we are doing for Christmas, but Easter we are all going to my brothers. My dad will be in Idaho by then and so we are thinking that for Christmas we will all join together and send him and his wife tickets to come home for Easter. That should be interesting!!

I hope you have enjoyed my homecoming story.

~E.

No comments: