Friday, October 21, 2005

To serve and serve

I am a server at a restaurant and yesterday when I worked, I got so caught up in my side work of filling syrup set ups and other such things, I forgot that there might be people coming in during the midst of all this. Usually when the hostess seats someone, she tells the server that they have someone in their section. Well, this didn't happen for me. So the manager, instead of just coming to get me immediately, went to the tables to see what they wanted for drinks. Then she came back and got me and kind of yelled at me. She didn't raise her voice, but I knew she wasn't happy with me. She told me that I had two tables that had been there for a while, and that when we are so busy the hostess can't be coming back to tell me that there are tables in my section. I understand that, but I felt like things had slowed down a bit and so we weren't as busy. I guess I was wrong. She helped me get the drinks and told me who needed what, but I was a little confused to say the least. I sometimes think that help can definately hinder a person. So anyway, I went to 2 tables, and one of them was the wrong one. Oops. The floor chart had just been changed, and I totally forgot about it. It was an honest mistake. So, instead of bringing the right drink to the right table, I tried to give the wrong drink to the wrong table. "Which one of you had coke?" I said when I got to the table, and the lady looked at me like I was nuts. "We didn't have coke" she said, and then it hit me, as I was looking around, I went to the wrong table. OH NOOOOO! Well, what do you do? Just deal and move on, and that's exactly what I did. I took their order. Then the 2nd table was a gentleman. And just as I was getting ready to go to his table, a different manager, The restaraunt manager, went up and took his order. I was so close. At that point I really, truly didn't care. After that situation, with me waiting on the wrong table and so on, the manager that told me about the tables in the first place said something to me about going to the wrong table. I don't know what she said, but it almost turned into a full blown discussion/argument and had it not been for another server that told us to get in the kitchen, it would have unraveled right there in the dining room. I am so thankful for that other server. Anyway, as we were making our way to the kitchen, I just walked away and got the drinks for the table. It all turned out to be fine, and I got a decent enough tip off the table, and I'm not sure if the man left a tip or not. I didn't deserve one anyway. The whole day was like that-all confusing and super busy. With mistakes made here and there. I know I am a very good server. But sometimes, I just have moments where it's just not working out, but I keep on trucking. For now at least, I really enjoy my job, and it gives my family a little extra money. And that is the best part.

I called my husband yesterday, because he has made the paper. Not the local one, but one in another part of the state. I can't believe that my husband, who would rather stand behind the guy asking questions and taking pictures, made the paper. I am so excited. My sister's mil will be sending me the paper. It's so neat. My husband also told me that he would have a little air time on the radio, which really shocked me. Where did my shy husband go and what have they done with him?:)
~e.

No comments: