Saturday, December 10, 2005

Ahh discipline

As per a VERY good friend of mine, it is encouraged to discipline my children starting at a very young age so as to maintain control as they are getting older. Disciplining really helps and I take her advice as far as taking them to the bathroom so as not to embarrass them in front of other people. Well, tonight, my daughter who has a very high pitched squeal/scream wanted to drink all of her milk at once. I wouldn't let her so she started to scream in her high pitched tone and made it really uncomfortable for me to enjoy myself. I took her to the bathroom and there was a line, so I had to wait before I could get into the stall. When we finally went into the stall, I laid my daughter on the changing station and I was talking to her and letting her know that her behavior was unacceptable and that she was going to get a spanking now. She seemed to fully understand what I was saying and I gave her one little slap on the butt. It wasn't hard by any means but it got the message across. Well, the 2 ladies that were in the restroom before me, were still in there. They heard the slap and then the cry. And as they were leaving one said, what was that, and the other one said it sounds like she got smacked, and then she said something like oh is that how it's done. Or something like that. What gets me, is that if I was in the stall pooping, would they be leaving and saying whoa, that smells, I wonder what she had to eat today. I don't recall ever commenting when I hear someone reprimand their child. I look away so I don't have to make eye contact with either the mother or the child. I wouldn't want them thinking anything. Anyway, our discipline time was over and we went back to our table to eat and enjoy ourselves. While I was taking care of my daughter, my son was also acting the way his sister was and his dad took him to the bathroom to take care of him. I love my children, but the discipline definately works, I just wish people would leave their comments to themselves. I realize we live in a damned world. Meaning you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. If I hadn't taken my daughter into the bathroom and not even worried about disciplining her, people would have surely looked at me for disrupting their meal and then wondered why I wasn't doing anything about it. ~E

1 comment:

~B said...

Maybe, if the van is more convenient, you'll have to start doing the spankings there, people are weird these days, I suppose we don't want someone to report you... try the van? :) Love you, B